White House denies Trump pushing out McMaster

The report also mentioned Trump was not in a hurry to find a successor

Matt Saintsing
March 16, 2018 - 11:03 am
McMaster

Photo by Andrew Harrer/Pool/Sipa USA

The White House pushed back against a report Thursday evening that stated President Donald Trump decided to give national security advisor U.S. Army Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster the boot.

“Just spoke to (Trump) and Gen. H.R. McMaster- contrary to reports they have a good working relationship and there are no changes at the (National Security Council),” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a tweet late Thursday.

A report by the Washington Post sparked talk of McMaster’s forced ouster Thursday. Sources told the Washington Post that Trump had already made the decision to fire him and was actively discussing prospects for McMaster’s replacement.

The report also mentioned Trump was not in a hurry to find a successor, partly because he doesn’t want to publically embarrass McMaster. Trump also reportedly wants to find a qualified candidate.

How long McMaster’s tenure at the White House has long been a subject of speculation, with some noting that he and Trump have a rocky relationship. McMaster and others have dismissed the reports as nothing more than rumors.

“I have a job. It’s a tremendous honor to do this job…and it is my intention to go as long and as hard as I can to serve the president and this nation,” McMaster said in January, in a response to a NBC News report that the White House was planning to force him out.

The report Thursday evening comes just after Trump fired Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, through a tweet, earlier this week. Trump also announced he would be nominating CIA director Mike Pompeo, a former Congressman and West Point graduate, to take Tillerson’s place.

McMaster became Trump’s second national security adviser after Michael Flynn resigned from the position after it came out he misled Vice President Mike Pence about his contacts with Russian officials.