Upgrading your other than honorable discharge is easier than ever

Jonathan Kaupanger
January 26, 2018 - 10:18 am

Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Shelman Spencer


The VA and DoD just made changing your military discharge a little easier.  There’s a new web-based tool that gives customized help for vets who are looking to change or upgrade the conditions of their military discharge. 

“This new tool and partnership with DoD is one of many VA initiatives offered to veterans who believe they may have been unfairly discharged or received an unfair discharge characterization,” said VA Secretary Dr. David J. Shulkin.  “Veterans who believe their discharge was unjust, erroneous or warrants an upgrade are encouraged to use the tool and then apply for review.”

There are a few questions that you’ll have to answer, and once that’s done, the site guides you, step by step, on what you need to do to get the change going.  Links to the forms you’ll need to fill out are provided.  They even have info about specific lines on the forms that could give you problems later, if they aren’t fill out correctly. 

“We are thrilled to have partnered with the Department of Veterans Affairs in developing this wonderful and easily accessible tool,” said Mr. Robert Wilkie, Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness.  “We support our veterans, whether they served recently or long ago, and we are excited to introduce a tool that will individualize the guidance for those who desire an upgrade or change in their military discharge.”

DoD estimates that there are tens of thousands of veterans with less than honorable discharges.  Some of these were due to issues relating to post-traumatic stress, traumatic brain injury or sexual orientation.

Find the new website and everything you need to know about changing your discharge status, here.