Benefits in my Backyard: Nebraska

Jonathan Kaupanger
April 20, 2018 - 12:26 pm



More than 140,000 veterans live in the Cornhusker State.  CliffsNotes -- that little yellow and black book that helped you through high school -- got its start in this state.  So did Kool-Aid and the Reuben sandwich.  Did you know that 40 percent of America’s WWII’s ammunition came from Hastings, Nebraska?  Wierd fact:  Queen Elizabeth II, Bill Murray and Big Bird are Admirals in the Great Navy in the State of Nebraska.  (psst - Nebraska is a land-locked state.)


In Nebraska, taxpayers who retire after July 18, 2014 have the option to exclude 40 percent of their retirement income for seven taxable years or exclude 15 percent until they turn 67 years old.  Once this election is made, it cannot be changed.

  • Homestead Exemption.  This exempts all or a portion of the taxable value of the primary residence of qualified disabled veterans and their widow/widowers. Some categories are subject to household income limitations.  These income limitations are on a sliding scale.  Contact your local county assessor’s office for more information.


  • Waiver of Tuition.  Available to dependents of eligible veterans.  This may be used to receive one degree, diploma or certificate, and one bachelor’s degree.  This waiver does not cover non tuition related fees, books, housing or food costs.  A directory of authorized school representatives is here.
  • Reservist Tuition Credit Program.  This is limited to 200 new applications per calendar year.  You must be a state resident and an enlisted member of a Nebraska-based Active Selected Reserve unit.




  • Fishing/Hunting licenses.  Nebraska offers special permits to veterans age 64 and older, deployed military and disabled veterans at reduced or no cost.
    • Veteran Permit.  Vets 64 and older are eligible for a Veteran’s Annual Small Game Hunt/Fish/Fur Harvest Permit for $5.  This permit must be renewed annually.
    • Deployed Military Permit. For any state resident who is or has been deployed out of the state within the last 12 months is eligible for a Veteran’s Annual Small Game Hunt/Fish/Fur Harvest Permit for $5.  Deployment paperwork must be presented in person at the time of application.
    • Disabled Veteran Permit.  Veterans with at least a 50 percent service connected disability are eligible for a Veteran’s Annual Small Game Hunt/Fish/Fur Harvest Permit at no charge.


Cemetery and Burial

  • Veterans residing in the state are eligible to receive certain end of life benefits. For more information call (877) 420-7990
  • Eligibility Determination Form.  Pre-needs determination is intended to simplify and assist the veteran’s next-of-kin at the time of death.  This does not reserve a plot or niche at the cemetery.  There is no cost for this.

Links or Resources