Additional troops flown out of Iraq for injuries from the Iran missile strike

Elizabeth Howe
January 22, 2020 - 8:32 am
Media outlets visit one of the many impact sites created by the recent missile attacks at Al Asad Air Base, Iraq

DVIDS

Central Command confirmed Tuesday that additional U.S. troops were being flown out of Iraq for injuries resulting from the Jan. 8 Iranian missile strike. This is in addition to the 11 U.S. service members that CENTCOM confirmed last week were injured in the attack.

Despite previous statements, 11 U.S. service members were injured during the Iranian missile strike

The morning after the strike — which was in retaliation for the U.S. killing of Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani — preliminary reports claimed that no United States troops were harmed in the attack. 

Iraqi bases housing US troops struck with Iranian ballistic missiles

“I’m pleased to inform you the American people should be extremely grateful and happy. No Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian regime,” President Donald Trump stated on Jan. 8.

Last Friday, CENTCOM confirmed the first 11 injuries.

"While no U.S. service members were killed in the Jan. 8 Iranian attack on Al Asad Airbase, several were treated for concussion symptoms from the blast and are still being assessed," Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for U.S. Central Command said on Friday. 

Sec. Pompeo didn't appear at the hearing on Iran policy — he was on FOX instead

Now, an undisclosed number of additional service members have been flown from Iraq due to "potential injuries."  

"As medical treatment and evaluations in theater continue, additional service members have been identified as having potential injuries," Urban said. "These service members -- out of an abundance of caution -- have been transported to Landstuhl, Germany for further evaluations and necessary treatment on an outpatient basis."

And there could be more.

"Given the nature of injuries already noted, it is possible additional injuries may be identified in the future," Urban added, referencing the delay in symptoms characteristic of some concussive injuries.

A military official told the Washington Post that "dozens" of service members were suffering from "concussion-like symptoms."

Satellite images show little damage to bases where US troops are stationed in Iraq

According to Trump, Iran has since appeared to "stand down." Additional information since the strike has indicated that U.S. service members were warned of the impending strike. During a press briefing at the Pentagon on Thursday, Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs Jonathan Hoffman declined to provide details on who provided the warning. 



Want to get more connected to the great stories and resources Connecting Vets has to offer? Click here to sign up for our weekly newsletter.