Despite previous statements, 11 U.S. service members were injured during the Iranian missile strike

Elizabeth Howe
January 17, 2020 - 9:34 am
U.S. soldiers clear rubble from a site of Iranian bombing at Ain al-Asad air base in Anbar, Iraq

Associated Press

Despite previous reports and statements from President Donald Trump, military officials have confirmed that several service members are still being treated for injuries sustained during the Iranian missile strike that hit installations in Iraq last week. 

Iraqi bases housing US troops struck with Iranian ballistic missiles

On Jan. 8, Iran fired missiles at bases near Baghdad and Erbil, Iraq in retaliation for the killing of Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani in a drone strike ordered by Trump.

The morning after the strike, preliminary reports claimed that no United States troops were killed in the attack.

“I’m pleased to inform you the American people should be extremely grateful and happy. No Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian regime,” Trump stated on Jan. 8 

Defense Secretary Mark Esper stated "no casualties, no friendly casualties, whether they were U.S., coalition, contractor, et cetera," at a press briefing at the Pentagon. 

Military officials have now confirmed that 11 service members are still being treated for concussion symptoms from the blast.

"While no U.S. service members were killed in the Jan. 8 Iranian attack on Al Asad Airbase, several were treated for concussion symptoms from the blast and are still being assessed," said Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for U.S. Central Command. 

Sec. Pompeo didn't appear at the hearing on Iran policy — he was on FOX instead

Traumatic brain injury screening for all personnel in the vicinity of a blast is "standard procedure," the statement from CENTCOM said. Service members were transported from Al Asad Air Base "out of an abundance of caution."

“At this time, eight individuals have been transported to Landstuhl, and three have been transported to Camp Arifjan."

Satellite images show little damage to bases where US troops are stationed in Iraq

According to Trump, Iran has since appeared to "stand down." Additional information since the strike has indicated that U.S. service members were warned of the impending strike. During a press briefing at the Pentagon on Thursday, Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs Jonathan Hoffman declined to provide details on who provided the warning. 

Want to get more connected to the stories and resources Connecting Vets has to offer? Click here to sign up for our weekly newsletter.