Stock photo

How to file your taxes for free

February 20, 2018 - 10:41 am

Tax time is right around the corner and you’re probably starting to feel the pressure to file as soon as possible. Below, are a few options to help you file your taxes for free and without too much hassle.

IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE)

VITA is for taxpayers who earn less than $54,000 a year, persons with disabilities, and those with limited English speaking skills who need assistance when filing their taxes. Volunteers provide basic income tax return preparation and electronic filing to qualified individuals for free.

TCE is free tax help for all taxpayers over 60 years old and their volunteers specialize in questions about pensions and retirement.

Visit the IRS website to find the location for your nearest VITA and TCE sites.

If you or your household earned less than $66,000 in 2017, you can file federal and state returns for free on this site. is run by United Way and prepared by H&R Block.

Military installations

If you are a retiree with access to a local military installation, see if their tax center is available to retirees. These tax centers allow eligible personnel to have their taxes filed for free.

Additional tax resources

Military OneSource

VAntage Point Blog

IRS information for veterans